- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pound beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary and 2 sprigs thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 quart veal or beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- Combine the salt, paprika, mustard and pepper. Rub the brisket all over with the spice mix.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the brisket and brown evenly on both sides, five to seven minutes per side.
- Transfer the brisket to an ovenproof baking dish just large enough to hold the brisket snugly. Add the rosemary and thyme sprigs, garlic, stock, wine and vinegar. Cover the dish with heavy-duty aluminum foil and bake until the brisket is fork-tender, three to four hours.
- Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Strain the liquid into a pan and reduce over medium heat to about 2½ cups, with a glaze consistency.
- Check the seasonings.
- Slice the brisket across the grain and serve drizzled with sauce.